Napoleons 2.0

Napoleons 2.0
I love brioche!

Monday, June 4, 2012

Bring back the corn fritters

Oh, the lovely corn fritter. Words cannot do this magnificence justice.
A restaurant my family frequented when I was a kid, The Black Lantern, in Keene, N.H., served corn fritters with real maple syrup along with the bread basket before the meal came. It was like having dessert first.
My mother used to make them at home every once in a while, lovely little soft fried balls of dough dotted with kernels of corn. She'd fry them in one of her cast iron skillets -- or the electric frying pan if she was making a big batch.
Later, I remember hearing someone describe making corn fritters with cornmeal. Really? You don't make them with corn? They are called corn fritters because they are made with cornmeal? Doesn't that make them more like a hush puppy? Wikipedia says that corn fritters are often mistaken for johnnycake. I've not made that mistake.
Okay, enough with the complications. Here's the crux of the matter: Corn fritters should be back on the front burner, so to speak. Everyone needs a little corn fritter love. Is it good for you? Yes. It's delicious. It's homemade, it's sweet, it's savory, it's fried. It's good for you. It's not good for your body. It's good for your soul and your brain. It's a comfort food.
I made some corn fritters last night. I hadn't eaten a fritter in years. I had two. They were hot and fluffy and I ate them in my favorite bowl with some (real) maple syrup swirled on the top. As I ate, I was reminded of Sunday nights when we would have breakfast for dinner when I was young. My mother would cook pancakes and bacon or eggs and homefries. And sometimes she would make corn fritters. It's likely that my mom didn't have the makings for dinner on hand so she made due with what she had. There's pretty much always breakfast food in the house, right? Some eggs, bread, cheese ..
I didn't have a rough day or anything yesterday. But I felt so much better after my fritter dinner.
You can make them with Bisquick if you like, but I've included a traditional recipe as well. And corn fritters made with fresh corn? Well, that's just crazy good.

Corn Fritters
¾ cups flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 whole eggs
½ cups milk, more to thin, if necessary
1 teaspoon salt
4 cups corn kernels, fresh, frozen or canned 
Oil, for frying - vegetable or canola
Maple syrup

Mix flour, sugar, and baking powder. Add eggs, milk and salt. Stir together to make a batter.
Add corn and mix to combine.
Heat 2 inches of oil in a pan to 365 degrees. When oil is heated, drop spoonfuls of batter and cook, flipping to the other side, until golden brown.
Drain on a towel-lined plate. Serve while hot, drizzled with maple syrup.

Fast Corn Fritters
1 egg
1/4 cup milk
1 cup Bisquick
1 can whole kernel corn, drained
Blend together egg, milk, and Bisquick. Stir in corn.
In a frying pan, heat 2 inches vegetable oil. Using 2 teaspoons, gently drop a rounded teaspoon of fritter batter into hot oil. Fry 6-8 fritters at a time, turning until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
Serve hot, with maple syrup.

8 comments:

  1. hi sherry;

    when i made corn fritters at the black lantern, they were made with creamed corn.

    tony bruno

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so surprised by that Tony. I .. hate creamed corn! But it makes sense. I'm sure it helped keep the finished product moist.
      Any idea how we might get the recipe?
      Best,
      s

      Delete
  2. My number one favorite breakfast in the whole wide world is corn pancakes. I add lots & lots of corn to my old stand-by Betty Crocker pancake recipe. They get fried in a Generous amount of corn oil so that the edges are crispy. We still smother them with butter and use only warm REAL maple syrup on them, served with a side of THICK bacon. I do believe they're very similar to your corn fritters (no cornmeal here!). It's more like lots of corn held together with a little pancake batter. Like you said..they are (a soothing balm) to my heart and soul. Sweet Salty Heaven on a Plate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for writing Donna.
      I love the way you capitalize REAL maple syrup and THICK bacon! Both are very important words to me. I can't remember the last time I had fake syrup ... I'm spoiled, for sure. And I only buy thick bacon. I often buy it at the deli, slab bacon. But I also love North Country Smokehouse bacon ... it's very thick and really delicious.
      Thanks for writing.
      s

      Delete
  3. Oh Sherry, I do remember those corn fritters! They were to die for! I think I will make some once the heat passes. Love your blog btw! Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Linda.
    BTW, if the heat holds, I'm hitting the pool at Robin Hood on Friday afternoon. Maybe you'll come by for a swim ...?
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sherry
    My name is Dave Dionne I just found your blog very cool! I too grew up in Keene and remember the Corn Fritters of course I have an unfair advantage considering my parents were the original owners of the Black Lantern :)
    We never gave out the recipe for those and before my dad (Hector) passed many years ago he and I worked for a while to breack down the recipe so they could be made at home, when he died I printed it out alone with the Homemade Bread recipe and passed it out at his wake and funeral. Since people seem to remember I thought I would share them to keep his legacy alive
    Hector's Famous Com Fritters
    4 eggs
    2 cups all purpose flour
    2 Tbs. of Baking Powder
    1 cup of cream com
    %cup of milk
    ~ tsp of salt
    Beat the eggs and then add cream com mix well
    Then add all dry ingredients plus milk and mix together until well mixed.
    Let mixture stand for 3- 5 minutes and check consistency, should be like a heavy cake
    batter should be able to cut with a tablespoon or small ice cream scoop.
    Deep fry in clean fat at approx. 3250 for about 5 minutes. If they have not turned
    themselves, turn and continue to cook until evenly brown, and check center for
    doneness.
    Serve with warm maple syrup and enjoy.
    Hector's Homemade Bread
    Scald 2 cups of milk and pour into a large bowl; then add 2 tablespoons sugar, 2
    teaspoons salt and 2 tablespoons shortening. Stir until shortening is melted. Cool until
    lukewarm.'
    Crumble 1 yeast cake or packet ofdry yeast into ~ cup lukewarm water and stir until
    softened,add to milkmixture. ~
    Add 6 cups of flour, 1 at a time, mix thoroughly after each addition. Add more flour if
    necessary until it forms into a ball and does not stick to side of bowl. Turn dough out
    onto a lightly floured board and knead gently for about 3 minutes. Brush top of dough
    with oil or butter and set inwarm place, 80-850 until dough doubles in bulk, or
    impression remains when lightlypressed with fingers. Then press down and cut dough in
    half and form two loaves of bread. Pulling, cut edges under until it is smooth and rounded
    on top. Place in 2 greased loaf pans, 9x5x3 inches. Brush again with oil or butter; set to
    rise in warm place until double in bulk. Bake in a preheated 4000 oven for about 40
    minutes. When done the loaves shrink away from the pan and have a hollow sound when
    tapped. Remove from pans and place a wire racks to cool.

    Dave

    Please help us remember our father by enjoying these recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How much milk in Hector's Famous Com Fritters/ Thanks

    ReplyDelete