Napoleons 2.0

Napoleons 2.0
I love brioche!

Monday, May 28, 2012

Is there crack in the chicken patties?

I've discovered a new food ... which isn't really new at all but new to me. I've checked out a couple of markets down here (the Fitchburg/Leominster area) that I was referred to. Specifically, these market sell good meats and deli products. Both of these markets (Romano's and the Central Street Market)
sell chicken patties. These are raw chicken breasts, or are made of breast meat, and they are seasoned with salt, pepper, garlic powder and sometimes peppers and onions.
Not much to look at here, but trust me, these little patties are filled with delicousness.
The first time I saw them was at Romano's and the guy beside me ordered five pounds of them. I asked him, "What's up with the chicken patties?" He told me that he'd always bought them but that particular weekend he was buying them for his in-laws, who were visiting from Maine. They brought them back home with them. He explained that you cook them on the grill or on the stove.
I bought four, two plain and two with peppers and onions.
These chicken patties are not very different from eating a pounded fillet of chicken with some seasoning. But they taste better for some reason. I cooked them in a skillet and served them on some fresh burger rolls I bought at a bakery. I put cheese on the ones Barry would eat and made some homemade mayonnaise. He loved them and so did I. They were moist and flavorful and very quick to make.
I bought more last week when I visited the Central Street Market. I noticed they had them in the case for $1 a piece. I said to the guy behind the counter, "I've never seen these anywhere before ... is this a local thing?" He told me they had always had them, they make them there and they sell out fast.
I'm pretty sure there is crack in the chicken patties. I cooked them tonight, again in the skillet and made some herbed mayonnaise to go with them. Barry (my boyfriend), ate his on buns and I ate mine plain. They were so freaking good. I wanted to eat about 10 more. I did not.
I made a kick-ass macaroni salad but the chicken patties cast a big shadow over the entire table.
I can't wait to have chicken patties again. Maybe I'll cook them on the grill this time. Barry said, while still eating his first one, "I love these. I'll have these again anytime."
And so, we shall.

No comments:

Post a Comment