Napoleons 2.0

Napoleons 2.0
I love brioche!

Wednesday, May 9, 2012

A trifecta of trout

These trout all came from the same lake; caught by a neighbor yesterday.
 The top trout is a brown trout, the middle is a rainbow
 and the one on the bottom is a tiger trout.
The neighbor brought over a trio of trout this week: a brown trout, a rainbow and a tiger trout. I'm a big fan of trout, having grown up eating the fish my dad (and mom) caught regularly. My mother cooked them in bacon drippings in a cast iron skillet after rolling them in flour and cornmeal.
I cook them the same way, but I haven't perfected her method yet, in part because I don't get fresh fish often enough to practice.
I cooked two of what a friend called the "trifecta of trout" tonight. The fish was tender and delicious. I didn't add anything but some salt and pepper. The skin kind of came off when I took them out of the pan and one of them broke in half ... so they didn't look great, but they tasted delicious. Boyfriend Barry liked them enough but was put off by the bones. He doesn't like to have to work too hard at eating. A lot of people feel like that; lobster is too much work, etc. I don't mind the fuss, especially not when you are talking about fresh trout or lobster.
Mostly I loved the taste. There is nothing to compare to a fresh fish -- caught yesterday. We had a salad with warm goat cheese and some Brussel sprouts to go with it. But to be honest, I would have been fine with just the fish.
Also, who doesn't love a neighbor/friend/colleague that brings you food? It may be tomatoes from the garden or homemade cookies during the holidays, doesn't much matter. Who doesn't love food gifts?

No comments:

Post a Comment