Napoleons 2.0

Napoleons 2.0
I love brioche!

Saturday, May 5, 2012

rhubarbrhubarbrhubarb

I can't think of rhubarb without thinking of "rhubarbrhubarbrhubarb." That is what the actors in old time radio shows used to make the noise of a disgruntled crowd in the background. I learned that in a public speaking class a million years ago.
As a kid, we used to cut the stalks off of the bush and stick them in the sugar bowl to eat. I'm not sure I could do that now. Rhubarb has lovely flavor, but it is very tart.
While having coffee with a friend last week out on her deck, I noticed a very healthy rhubarb bush in her yard. When I asked her if she cooked with it, she said no and if I wanted it, she'd cut it for me. I went home with a big bagful. If you are lucky enough to be given rhubarb or if you buy it at the store and you have more than you need, you can chop it up and throw it in the freezer to use later.
I make a delicious rhubarb coffee cake. There's plenty of sugar in it to soften the tart rhubarb and a streusel topping that includes brown sugar. So, it's sweet and tart.
Rhubarb Crumb Bars are made with lots of butter and powdered sugar.

I also make rhubarb crumb bars which are a big pan of buttery goodness.
My boyfriend Barry often says he doesn't like rhubarb. The rhubarb cake I made tonight? It's missing three pieces already and I haven't had any ... neither have the dogs.

The stalks in the top picture yielded about 10 cups of rhubarb. What I didn't use got chopped into small pieces and put in the freezer for later. Each bag has two cups of rhubarb.
The crumb bars just before they went in the oven.



No comments:

Post a Comment